I received this email question on Friday: I was on hold today (waiting for technical support) from Point2 Systems. The system they use does not seem to be well maintained, interrupting it’s own messages and broadcasting dialing signals when it is simply repeating a message it has just broadcast a few seconds before. I recently had a similarly painful experience waiting for support from Telus. How often should a company test the wait queue system from ‘outside’? Companies that have queues in place should be “testing” them all the time. It should be standard practice for a customer service representative to ask you about your on hold experience. This way, as soon as there is a problem with the system it can be identified and repaired. However … many corporations are making it more difficult for customers (everyone really) to reach them. They are building walls around themselves to avoid controversy, cut back on costs, focus on specific projects. This is what The Phone Lady is on a mission against – companies that make themselves inaccessible. We all play a part in reversing this business trend. When you have a horrid experience on hold, with any company at any time, speak up. Don’t wait for a customer service represetative to ask you about it – tell them! Companies need to be made aware that their approach is alienating their customers. I’ll do my best to work through the layers of Telus and Point2 Systems and let them know I’ve received this information from a customer. I’ll let you know how long it takes to reach someone and how they respond.
Customer Service – Please!
When you subscribe to my weekly blog, you'll immediately receive a chapter of The Phone Book - Essential Telephone Communication Skills.
What's The Phone Lady doing?
- One-on-one coaching with 6 amazing entrepreneurs - info about sales coaching here
- Remote sales skills experience for financial advisors
- Remote sales skills experience for insurance professionals
- Remote sales skills experience for financial advisors in France!
- Remote customer service experience for home safety creator
- Luncheon keynote on self confidence and communication
- One-on-one and team coaching for a firm representing natural products for arthritis in dogs
- Remote learning experiences + one-on-one coaching for women entrepreneurs (More info about this three-year program here.)
- Team and individual coaching with a national moving company to refine their sales process
- Continuing to work with translators to present The Phone Lady in France
Do you or your team want to improve your communication skills? Do you have a communication question or challenge you'd like to discuss? This quick-to-fill-out form is easy to use and you'll hear from Mary Jane very soon.