I was reminded of something this week that relates to our listening skills. Many of you will remember when the internet was a new thing in our business lives. Suddenly (or at least that’s what it felt like) we were encountering a new language and both our listening and transcribing skills had to go through a transition period. Can you think back to the first few times someone gave you an email address and you had to write it down? I remember it clearly. I felt like I was being asked to write down something in a foreign language. For both websites and email, there was a learning curve or a practice period where I continually said “I’m sorry, can you repear that?” and then “Let me read this back to you to make sure I wrote it down correctly.” I remember dreading the moment someone would insist on giving me their email address. Imagine! Today it is a natural thing to quickly jot down an email adress, complex or not. It simply took practice. So if your listening skills are preventing you from picking up the phone, it is time to put that excuse aside. Doing your “phone work” is the only way your skill set will ever improve so … get dialling!
Listen Up Part II
November 8, 2009|
When you subscribe to my weekly blog, you'll immediately receive a chapter of The Phone Book - Essential Telephone Communication Skills.
What's The Phone Lady doing?
- One-on-one coaching with 6 amazing entrepreneurs - info about sales coaching here
- Designing a sales campaign - that includes phone conversations - for a waste management consulting firm
- Creating client communication module for college students
- Delivering remote learning on essential business communication skills for job search
- Remote learning experience on sales and customer service skills for vet equipment company
- Remote learning experience for financial advisors
- In-person learning experience with new business owners on creating a sales process
- Remote learning experience on essential skills to reach and inspire conversations with C-suite executives
- Team coaching for a firm representing natural products for arthritis in dogs
- Remote learning experience on sales and customer service skills for a transportation company
- Remote learning experience on both discovery and sales calls for new startups
Do you or your team want to improve your communication skills? Do you have a communication question or challenge you'd like to discuss? This quick-to-fill-out form is easy to use and you'll hear from Mary Jane very soon.