Great comments! Everyone has a different level of curiosity and I’m certainly not saying that everyone calls back as a result of this approach but … more people call back as a result of this approach than any other. A simple, clear message such as “Hi Joan Brown, it is Mary Jane Copps calling you on Tuesday March 30. It’s about 8:30 am and I’ll be in my office today until approximately 5:15. My direct line is toll free 1-877-404-3290, 1-877-404-3290. Look forward to speaking to you.” will result in more returned calls. If in the above message I included that I’m calling about introducing my company and my services, what happens is that Joan thinks to herself “I don’t need that right now” or “I don’t have time for that conversation” and she not only doesn’t return my call, on some level she actually thinks she’s told me “no”. Of course, it is vital for these cold calls that you are cheerful and enthusiastic. If the above-mentioned message is delivered in a monotone, with boredom or with panic, you certainly won’t receive any return calls. Including your company name is perfectly fine, athough it can reduce the number of responses. People may take the time to track down your website and again, only call back if they are interested. The importance of cold calling, for me, is not an immediate sale but rather letting your target market know you exist and beginning to build relationships. It is vital that the messages you leave don’t limit your ability to accomplish these goals.
When you subscribe to my weekly blog, you'll immediately receive a chapter of The Phone Book - Essential Telephone Communication Skills.
What's The Phone Lady doing?
- One-on-one coaching with 6 amazing entrepreneurs - info about sales coaching here
- Designing a sales campaign - that includes phone conversations - for a waste management consulting firm
- Sales training on outbound calls for a team of funding specialists
- Sales training for a team involved in the digitization of workflows
- Client communication skills to a busy not-for-profit
- Sales training for financial advisors
- Training with new entrepreneurs for discovery call, sales and customer service conversations
- Cold calling for corporate education specialist
- Coaching with salesperson representing outdoor gourmet kitchens
- Coaching team representing a natural project for arthritis in dogs
- Webinar on upselling skills for insurance professionals
Do you or your team want to improve your communication skills? Do you have a communication question or challenge you'd like to discuss? I'd be pleased to connect with you to see if I can help. This quick-to-fill-out form is easy to use and you'll hear from me very soon.