There is absolutely no doubt about it – it is scary to pick up the telephone and call someone you don’t know with the aim of having a productive conversation about your business. To deal with this “phone phobia” we have to look at the causes of this fear and see how they can be eliminated. Lets start with the list: 1)I won’t be able to get past the receptionist; 2)I’ll mispronounce the person’s name; 3)I’ll get voicemail and I’ll leave a scrambled message; 4)I’ll say something silly and the person will hang up on me; 5)I’ll call at the wrong time and the person will be annoyed with me: 6)The person will speak to me but ask me a question I can’t answer; 7)I’ll say all the wrong things and completely alienate this person as a possible customer. Are these some of the things you are afraid of when you go to pick up the phone? Are there others? Do send your reasons along to add to this list. I’ll examine each one in future posts and show you how to eliminate it for good!
What Makes It Scary?
October 25, 2009|
When you subscribe to my weekly blog, you'll immediately receive a chapter of The Phone Book - Essential Telephone Communication Skills.
What's The Phone Lady doing?
- One-on-one coaching with 6 amazing entrepreneurs - info about sales coaching here
- Creating client communication module for college students studying design
- Remote learning experience for financial advisors
- Remote learning experience with new business owners on creating their sales process
- One-on-one and team coaching for a firm representing natural products for arthritis in dogs
- Remote learning experience on both discovery and sales calls for new startups
- Team coaching with a national moving company to refine their sales process
- In-person team coaching with marketing company
- Remote phone skills workshop for North American orthodontist firm
- Working with translators to present The Phone Lady in France
- Free sales workshop at the Halifax Central Library
- Phone skills as a job search tool for those starting their career
Do you or your team want to improve your communication skills? Do you have a communication question or challenge you'd like to discuss? This quick-to-fill-out form is easy to use and you'll hear from Mary Jane very soon.