There is absolutely no doubt about it – it is scary to pick up the telephone and call someone you don’t know with the aim of having a productive conversation about your business. To deal with this “phone phobia” we have to look at the causes of this fear and see how they can be eliminated. Lets start with the list: 1)I won’t be able to get past the receptionist; 2)I’ll mispronounce the person’s name; 3)I’ll get voicemail and I’ll leave a scrambled message; 4)I’ll say something silly and the person will hang up on me; 5)I’ll call at the wrong time and the person will be annoyed with me: 6)The person will speak to me but ask me a question I can’t answer; 7)I’ll say all the wrong things and completely alienate this person as a possible customer. Are these some of the things you are afraid of when you go to pick up the phone? Are there others? Do send your reasons along to add to this list. I’ll examine each one in future posts and show you how to eliminate it for good!
What Makes It Scary?
When you subscribe to my weekly blog, you'll immediately receive a chapter of The Phone Book - Essential Telephone Communication Skills.
What's The Phone Lady doing?
- One-on-one coaching with 6 amazing entrepreneurs - info about sales coaching here
- Designing a sales campaign - that includes phone conversations - for a waste management consulting firm
- Creating client communication module for college students
- Delivering remote learning on essential business communication skills for job search
- Remote learning experience on sales and customer service skills for vet equipment company
- Remote learning experience for financial advisors
- In-person learning experience with new business owners on creating a sales process
- Remote learning experience on essential skills to reach and inspire conversations with C-suite executives
- Team coaching for a firm representing natural products for arthritis in dogs
- Remote learning experience on sales and customer service skills for a transportation company
- Remote learning experience on both discovery and sales calls for new startups
Do you or your team want to improve your communication skills? Do you have a communication question or challenge you'd like to discuss? This quick-to-fill-out form is easy to use and you'll hear from Mary Jane very soon.